Once again, NFCYM is directing all concerned individuals and groups to our partners at Catholic Relief Services (CRS) for aid to victims of Hurricane Matthew. Still in the earliest phases of this disaster, monetary contributions are the assistance which can have the widest benefit. CRS is uniquely equipped for disaster aid, particularly in Haiti, which never fully recovered from the 2010 earthquake. Please visit their donation page and be generous.
The Vatican has announced that Pope Francis “has established that in October 2018 the 15th Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops will be held, on the theme: ‘Youth, faith and vocational discernment’.”
Pigeon Forge Holy Fire Postponed to 2017
The National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry (NFCYM), in association with Declan Weir Productions (DWP), is postponing the Holy Fire conference in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, which was originally planned for November 12. The conference for middle school youth will be rescheduled for 2017 in order to maximize the potential effectiveness of the event. View/download the full press release ( 51 KB).
NFCYM Adopts New Mission, Vision, Values Statements
At the 2016 Annual Membership Meeting in Chicago, The National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry approved and adopted new mission, vision, and values statements. These statements are now published in full on this website.
October is National Bullying Prevention Month
Resources and organizations of interest:
- A full website of resources at StopBullying.gov, especially the New Online Bullying Prevention Training Course.
- PACER's National Bullying Prevention Center and the campaign for the 2016 10th Anniversary of Bullying Prevention Month.
- The Center for Safe Schools Bullying Prevention materials.
- StopBullying.gov also maintains a Facebook page, Twitter handle, and an Instagram account.
News from NFCYM and Beyond
Recent news and/or updates to the website include:
- Resources for National Youth Violence Prevention Week on the “Christian Response to Violence” page
- New Catechetical Session plan on the Spiritual Works of Mercy added to the “Year of Mercy” page
- Dr. Robert McCarty completed his nineteen-year tenure at NFCYM on March 4. Read Bob’s farewell note and see the federation and staff “thank yous.”
For more information, see the full News page.
Lay Ecclesial Ministry
The mission of the church cannot be completed without the faithful work of its lay ministers. Is Christ calling you to lead his church in this capacity? Check out the certification process on the Alliance for the Certification of Lay Ministers website (lemcertification.org) and these resources:
What's NFCYM's Most Popular Training In-Service?
Resources for Supporting Pope Francis' Encyclical, Laudato Si
A collection of resources can be found in our “Catechesis for Current Events.”
Also, be sure to check out NFCYM’s website, “Care for Creation, Care for the Poor” at climate.nfcym.org.
Links will open the conference website