Developing a Parish Youth Ministry Team
The following represents a sample Catholic youth ministry mission statement and various roles (with job descriptions) for the parish to consider in implementing their ministry to, with, by and for young people. Please adapt these to meet the needs of your parish or youth ministry setting. In addition the NFCYM is also making available a resource guide called Groundbreaking: A How-To-Guide for building comprehensive youth ministry (77.3KB).
The (name of Catholic parish) youth ministry is committed to the reality that young people are an important and integral part of our parish community. The youth program seeks to foster the maturing of faith in the youth of our parish and the surrounding community.
We affirm the gifts of our youth and we foster opportunities for young people to share their gifts with the larger community. The spiritual and social needs of the youth are to be met with the committed leadership, guidance, and support of our parish adults. The adults and youth of our parish are therefore provided with the opportunity to grow together in Christian faith.
Through a variety of programs, events, and outreach, we seek to draw young people into responsible participation in the life, work, and mission of the parish community.
We believe this ministry is to, with, by, and for young people and is a blessing for the entire community.
Youth Ministry Commission Job Description
The Youth Ministry Commission ensures that the pastoral care of young people at (name of Catholic parish) is rooted in the parish and is integral to the life, work, and mission of the parish community. The Commission consists of adults who provide vision, direction, support, and advocacy for the parish’s ministry to young people.
The Youth Ministry Commission has the following critical tasks:
- Provide support for the coordinator of youth ministry, the Leadership Team, and adult volunteers involved in youth ministry.
- Develop long-range planning, budgeting, and program assessment, ensuring that the changing needs of young people are being met.
- Advocate for young people and their responsible participation in the life of the parish.
- Accountable to the parish Faith Formation Committee, Pastoral Council, and pastor.
Members of the Youth Ministry Commission are responsible for:
- Attending the quarterly meetings of the Commission.
- Serving on Commission committees as needed.
- Being actively involved in the functions of the Commission, such as advocacy, long range planning, budget formation, and support.
Members of the Youth Ministry Commission exhibit the following qualities:
- A commitment and love for young people.
- A willingness to share their faith in Jesus and their ongoing journey to God with others.
- A willingness to further their understanding of comprehensive youth ministry and youth culture.
Members of the Youth Ministry Commission receive the following benefits:
- To be a positive influence in the lives of young people.
- To impact on the quality of parish youth programs.
- To use their gifts and talents in furthering the mission and ministry of (name of Catholic parish).
Term: Members of the Youth Ministry Commission serve a two-year term starting June 1 and this term is renewable.
Youth Ministry Team Job Description
The Youth Ministry Leadership Team consists of committed youth and adults who provide the vision, direction, planning, and implementation of the youth ministry program at (name of Catholic parish).The Leadership Team has the following critical tasks:
- Handle the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the designed program.
- Foster the involvement of young people in the life of the parish, including serving on various parish committees and being involved in parish activities.
Members of the Youth Ministry Leadership Team are responsible for:
- Attending the monthly Leadership Team meetings.
- Serving on the planning teams for particular youth ministry programs or youth ministry activities.
- Providing support for being present at youth ministry programs and activities when possible.
- Building a sense of faith community among the Leadership Team and among all the young people involved at (name of Catholic parish).
Members of the Youth Ministry Leadership Team exhibit the following qualities:
- Good Ambassador
- To guide and influence the direction of the program
- Visible leadership
- Be Prepared
- Fresh Ideas
- A good example
Term: Youth Ministry Leadership Team members serve from June 1 to the following May 31 and the term is renewable.