strong catholic families: strong catholic youth
What Is Strong Catholic Families: Strong Catholic Youth?
A three-part training process hosted by dioceses for changing the way parishes/schools partner with parents. Developed by NFCYM and presented in partnership with the National Conference for Catechetical Leadership (NCCL), the National Association of Catholic Family Life Ministers (NACFLM) and the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA).
The Strong Catholic Families: Strong Catholic Youth in-services and resources are designed to:
- motivate parents to take responsibility for the faith development of their children, and
- motivate parishes/schools to support and equip parents and families in passing the faith to their children.
A Typical Diocesan-Sponsored Training
Session 1: A two-hour parent session which modela for parish/school leaders how to engage and partner with parents in the lifelong process of faith formation.
Session 2: A morning (three-hour) training in-service for any interested diocesan/parish/school leaders outlining the what and why of partnering with parents to bring home the faith.
Session 3: An afternoon (three-hour) Orientation for Presenters to prepare local presenters and the diocesan team to work with parish/school staffs in using the Strong Catholic Family process and materials in local parishes/schools within the diocese.
NOTE: a one-day Saturday model is also available with Parent Session 9:00-11:00 am, Parish/School Leader Session from 11:00 am-2:00 pm (including lunch), and concluding with a Training of Presenters Session from 2:00-5:00 pm).
- A One-Time Fee—The complete parent and leader session PowerPoints, numerous family faith resources, and all resource materials are included in the one-time training fee along with full copyright permission that is extended to all parishes and schools within the diocese.
- The Strength and Support of a Network—The initiative has already been hosted in more than sixty dioceses throughout the U.S. and Canada, creating an active network of users who continue to grow and share effective practices and revisions to the resources.
- Ongoing Support and Resourcing—National support is offered to hosts from day one through conference calls, evaluations, implementation and follow-up recommendations and ongoing revisions and updating of resources, all provided at no extra costs.
- An Excellent Tool to Grow the Domestic Church During the Year of Faith—A number of dioceses will be using the Strong Catholic Family model to help families grow in faith during the Year of Faith that runs October, 2012 until November, 2013.
- A Dynamic Way to Engage Parents—An excellent process to incorporate into existing parish sacramental preparation programs, faith formation events, school PTA gatherings, and adult formation gatherings.
Learn More About Strong Catholic Families
- View a four minute promotional video on Strong Catholic Families
- View a webinar recording of the Strong Catholic Family Overview for Leaders (50 minutes)
- Download the Information Flyer (532 KB)
- Download the Diocesan Coordinator's Program Manual (1.79 MB)
- Read about a Strong Catholic Family parish event (Diocese of Baton Rouge)
- Review the Effective Practices Digest highlighting entries sent in from throughout the Strong Catholic Families network of participating dioceses.
Resource Books and Prayer Cards
Order the family faith resource booklets or prayer cards (English or Spanish versions) from our online store.
Building Strong Hispanic Families
Fortaleciendo familias en la fe (Strengthening Families in the Faith)
A transliterated version of the Strong Catholic Families process developed to meet the unique family and cultural needs of Hispanic parents and the parishes that minister to them. It follows the same three session outline as the English version, culminating in a training of local leaders to enable them to present parent sessions in parishes. Includes the many resources and copyright permissions required for local use.
Costs, Trainers, and Training Schedule
View the information page of Strong Catholic Families/Fortaleciendo Familias en la Fe costs, trainers, and schedules of upcoming—as well as past—trainings.
Requesting an In-Service
To request an NFCYM Training In Service, contact:
Director of Membership Services
michaelt (at) nfcym (dot) org
SCF/FFF Network Website
A special set of web pages has been prepared for diocesan leaders and local presenters who have completed the Strong Catholic Families or Fortaleciendo Familias en la Fe training in-services. There is a separate site for each program.
(The pages are password protected; access codes given with training contract are required.)