Walk for Vocations: An Intergenerational Activity
Invite families, individuals, and friends to set aside a day as a diocese, deanery, cluster, parish, school, or organization to walk and pray for vocations.
- Prior to the day ask different groups to set up tables with displays and people i.e. religious congregations, Diocesan Vocation Office, Marriage Encounter, Cursillo, Mission Awareness Office, Deacon Formation Office, Singles Club, Young Adult Ministry, Family Life. Use a gym or parish hall for the event.
- Arrange for a light lunch i.e. sandwiches, chips, drink.
- Publicize, well ahead of time, in church bulletins, newsletters, newspaper, through youth ministry, young adult ministry, meetings, and flyers.
- Invite people to bring banners from their parishes, schools, groups, etc. Have posters/banners asking to pray for vocations, list different lifestyles.
- The walk will take place in a pre-determined route through the community. Make arrangements with the city/police for permission and escort. The walk serves as a witness to the community.
- Have people bring instruments and rosaries to sing/pray and walk in silence.
- When they arrive at the site, they have a light lunch and visit the people at the display tables.
- Have a speaker or speakers talk about the different vocations in the church.
- Have musicians provide lively music for the day.
- End with a Mass or prayer service.